Sunday 28 November 2010

Icon: Françoise Hardy

As much as I love being an English girl who can get away with having messy hair and messy attire, I have to admit that I secretly admire elegant French women. Françoise Hardy is a good example.
You may or may not be aware that my favourite era, for fashion, at least, is the ’60s. Françoise was a famous French chanteuse in the 60s; her voice was as beautiful as her face and her style was so bloody cool (I would say ‘chic’, but I think you’ll agree with me when I say that I use that word too much on this blog). Mick Jagger fell madly in love with her, as did many other high-profile guys, but in the end she married fellow French singer Jacques Dutronc.  She is one of my favourite people who reigned supreme in the Sixties.
When I see pictures of Françoise, it saddens me to think that natural beauties like her- and other 60s icons like Penelope Tree, Jean Shrimpton et cetera- are something that we rarely see nowadays. Yes, Françoise did wear make-up- flicky black eyeliner is evident in some photos of her- but she wasn’t caked up in cosmetics. Her photos weren’t Photoshopped. She didn’t have plastic surgery. She didn’t dye her hair a crazy colour or wear it in an elaborate, complicated style. She didn’t flash too much flesh. The female celebrities of today are so different and so less classy than the female celebrities of the ’60s, don’t you agree? Françoise, in my opinion, is one of the most beautiful women I’ve seen. And I love her clothes. Have a look at the pictures below.

1 comment: